Our security responsibilities
We will ensure that:
The data you give us will be safe. Encryption is used to protect the personal information you give us.
Our data will be stored at a secure facility. Regular backups of data are performed to ensure it can be recovered in case of a disaster.
All access to the system is logged. If any unauthorised behaviour should occur, this will assist us in identifying and resolving the issue.
Increasing your safety online
Protecting your computer
- Install and activate security software on your computer. Ensure your security software includes anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall and anti-spam filter
- Run regular scans of your computer for viruses
- Remember to update your security software to ensure you are always running the current version
Other steps you should take to help protect your computer include:
- Check your Internet browser's security settings for ways to make your browsing more secure
- Do not open email attachments if you do not know the sender
- Only download files from reputable Internet sites
- Be wary when exchanging files with colleagues or friends
- Never click on hyperlinks in emails received from unknown sources
Protecting your password
- Never share your password with anyone
- Never send your password via email
- Make your password as strong as possible
You should report any suspicious or unauthorised activity relating to your use of reefknowledgesystem.gbrmpa.gov.au by contacting us. This will help us make reefknowledgesystem.gbrmpa.gov.au as secure as we can.
Reporting Suspected Fraud
Fraud means ‘dishonestly obtaining a benefit, or causing a loss to the Commonwealth, by deception or other means’. Allegations of fraud against recipients of funding administered by the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, or of unlawful conduct by staff or contractors can be reported in writing or by telephone to the Fraud Liaison Officer.
You have the option of not identifying yourself, or using a pseudonym, when reporting suspected fraud offences online or over the phone. All reports will be kept confidential.
Fraud Liaison Officer
Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
PO Box 1379
TOWNSVILLE QLD 4810
Further cyber security advice
Protecting Yourself Online – What Everyone Needs to Know
Cybersafety Help Button – online assistance and resources
CyberSmart - Cyber Safety for kids, teens, parents, libraries, schools
Stay Smart Online - Cyber Security for Australian internet users
SCAMWatch – online information on avoiding and reporting scams
CERT Australia - Australia’s national computer emergency response team
1. Your use of reefknowledgesystem.gbrmpa.gov.au does not:
- Affect or reduce any obligation any agency owes you; or
- reduce any obligation you owe to any agency.
2. Your use of any data provided through reefknowledgesystem.gbrmpa.gov.au is entirely at your own risk and the data may contain inaccuracies or errors. The Reef Authority accepts no liability for any injury, loss or damage incurred by use of or reliance on the data, including, but not limited to:
- Use of the data for a purpose for which they were not intended,
- any errors or omissions in the data,
- any inaccuracy in the data, or
- any interpretations or opinions stated in, or which may be inferred from, the data.
3. The reefknowledgesystem.gbrmpa.gov.au website is not a substitute for independent professional advice and you should obtain any appropriate professional advice relevant to your particular circumstances. You must exercise your own judgement and carefully evaluate the material on reefknowledgesystem.gbrmpa.gov.au.
4. We strive to protect information you provide on reefknowledgesystem.gbrmpa.gov.au. We will use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that reefknowledgesystem.gbrmpa.gov.au and your information are not compromised. However, we cannot guarantee that no harmful code will enter reefknowledgesystem.gbrmpa.gov.au. You should be aware of the risks associated with using websites.
5. We recommend that you use appropriate and up-to-date firewall and anti-virus software to protect your computer systems.
6. If you experience a problem or loss that is caused by the information you send to or via reefknowledgesystem.gbrmpa.gov.au, your computer being compromised in some way or by something beyond our control, we cannot take responsibility for causing the problem. We will, however, do our best to help you if we can.
7. Where connection to a system or website outside our control compromises the objectives of reefknowledgesystem.gbrmpa.gov.au, we may sever links to that website or system.